Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sugar-Free Chocolate Sauce, Chocolate Syrup and Ganache

Making your own sugar-free chocolate sauce and syrup is very easy. It's cheaper and in my opinion better tasting than the store bought variety. You can add cinnamon or flavored extracts as well.

Sugar-Free Chocolate Sauce:
  • 2 oz unsweetened chocolate 
  • 1/4 cup sweetener +/- to suit your own taste
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream 
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add cream and sweetener, bring to a low boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla and chocolate until it melts and is very smooth. You can add more cream if needed to reach your desired consistency.
This recipe has only 7 carbs if you use a zero carb sweetener.

Sugar-Free Ganache:

If you reduce the cream in the chocolate sauce recipe to 1/4 cup you will have a ganache for candy making. Add in other extracts with the vanilla, nuts, sugar-free candy or roll in cocoa powder for flavored chocolate truffles. Yummy!!
This recipe has only 5.5 carbs if you use a zero carb sweetener.

Sugar-Free Chocolate Syrup:
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup sweetener +/- to suit your own taste
  • 3/4 cup water
In a medium sauce pan add all of the ingredients except vanilla and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes until it thickens to your desired consistency. Stir in vanilla. This is perfect for making chocolate milk or dessert topping.
This recipe has only 5.5 carbs if you use a zero carb sweetener.





Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. Pam this sounds delicious. Jimmy and I began a low-carb diet last week and I know this is one I will have to try. I do have some questions about some of your ingredients so I may be bugging you a lot. Hope you don't mind.

    Love the picture of your family that you sent Savannah. Everyone wanted to know who was the mother and who was the daughter. You look fabulous girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, thank you for inflating my ego and you can bug me all you want. Erythritol is a sugar substitute that has the same granulated texture as sugar, it's just not as sweet. It is by far the best substitute I've tried. I can find it in my local health food store here, but I don't think you have many there. Netrition.com has it the cheapest. You can use whatever sugar substitute you like, Splenda would work just fine, I'm just not crazy about it by itself. Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Going to make this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your recipes!. Hope to see more soon!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks KellyG, this recipe is so easy to make too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chocolate syrup is really really good. I've made it twice for my family and everybody liked it. The only difference I made was putting about 1/2 Tbs of butter into it which made it alittle richer. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea adding butter, thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds delicious and I can't wait to make it. Is the nutritional info you have listed for the sauce per tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire recipe has 7-8 net carbs. Check the carb count on the brands of chocolate and cream you use, they can vary s little. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  8. Just found your site and this recipe does sound delicious! It is definitely on my "to make" list! One thing to note: 1/3 cup cocoa powder has 16 carbs & 1/4 cup Splenda has 6. So the whole recipe has * 22 * carbs. 5.5 carbs per 1/4 cup. If using a different sweetner, it could/would change the carb count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would, in the post I mentioned my carb count was if using a zero carb sweetener.

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!